← Previous Page 3 of 4 Next →
  1. […] goodness moment. Told you, I’m a total sucker… To read more about Mezcals, check out MEZCAL PhD Today’s cocktail muddles fresh Hothouse cucumbers (the only kid worth buying at the grocery […]

2. […] and taking a boat to the Marietta Islands 15:40 Tequila– La Cofradia and Carlos Santana 16:21 Mezcal PHD–what’s the difference between tequila and mezcal? [18:18] OMG. Smoked Marlin tacos at […]

3. Anthony at |

Hi,
    So for pinas that are cooked in the autoclave, does the resulting mezcal not have a smoky flavor? Can that be used to determine if a mezcal if artisan or not? Thank you for your time!

4. kazim at |

I wish this author gave correct nomenclature and spelling in it’s truest form and knew how and when to apply the “tilde’ …..at this rate it seems to become just a laymans simple translation at best . Phhhhht !

5. Brande Plotnick at |

I love this post! I declared 2017 my Year of the Mezcal because I am just waking up to how fabulous it is. This helped me understand the differences and where that amazing smokey flavor comes from. Thank you!

6. James Head at |

“With artisanal mezcal production, the pinas are cooked in an underground, earthen pit. The pit is typically about ten feet wide and ten feet deep, and cone shaped down to the bottom. It is lined with volcanic rock. A fire is started in the bottom with wood. This fire burns to the embers heating the volcanic rocks to extreme heat. The pinas are then piled into the pit and covered with about a foot of earth. This underground “oven” now smokes, cooks and caramelizes the pina over a multi-day cooking process.”
    Sounds very much like cooking cow head that my friend Humberto (native of ‘old Mexico’) described to me. We worked together years ago in Toledo, Ohio where he had to cook the cow head in the oven of his apartment. He did get the eyes because he was the Dad at that time. 🙂
    Thanks for your very interesting article. I look forward to trying Mezcal.

1. Dave at |

Ahh, your Mexican friend was talking about Barbados. This wonderful Spanish dish celebrated primarily on Sunday and is part of a feast. Find yourself a good Mexican grocery where they make it on Sunday. Be prepared to stand in line on Sunday morning with the locals. You won’t be sorry.

7. Heber at |

I have been fortunate enough for to have a wife from Oaxaca. We recently came back from Oaxaca and had to oportunity to visit palenques and see the whole process. Mezcal is more than a drink, it’s art, and an amazing experience. I have always loved mezcal but seeing and tasting it from the source and learning about the traditions and culture of Oaxaca made me truly understand the why is so unique. The biggest thing is to not drink it like tequila shots in one sip, but to enjoy every sip you take. Thank you for spreding the word. I highly recommed Sinai Mezcal. Salud.

8. Em at |

I had the same experience…been drinking premium tequila for many years and just found mezcal. My latest purchase was Mezcal xicaru…I just tried it for the first time and fell in love. Any other mezcal recommendations?

9. Michael in Texas at |

I am glad I found this informative site. Good reading.. Thanks! I am a long time tequila fan but never tasted mezcal until El Jolgorio on a business trip to Mexico last month. Wonderful stuff in my opinion. My only exposure to mezcal until now was a bottle of Cusano Rojo that my grandfather brought me from Oaxaca back in the 1950’s or 60’s that I never opened because I was warned it tasted like gasoline and was advised to stay far away from all Mezcal. However, I still keep it in my office because it is the only memory I have of g-pa, aside from a single old photo.

A neighbor just returned from visiting her family for the holidays in Zacatecas and brought me a bottle of La Pendencia Mezcal Reposado and said it is the most popular mezcal in her town. Have you tried that one by chance?

10. Douglas G Bailey at |

I really like Islay Scotch, and have recently learned that I love really smoky Metcalf. Can you suggest some super smoky, earthy mezcal in the $35- $55 range? I live in Montana, so don’t have the best selection, so add many add you can think of off the top of your head would be very appreciated!

1. Diver Down at |

I just bought my first bottle of Mezcal in Cozumel last month. Instantly fell in love with the Smoky taste and found this article about the difference of tequila and mezcal.
      Mine is El Senorio-Jovan Con Gusano. To me it is absolutely delicious and will have a hard time going back to Tequila. Cannot find it in any of our liquor stores to compare price. I paid a whopping $12 a bottle in Cozumel and don’t know why I bought 4 bottles never having it before but happy I did.

11. John at |

A friend gave me something called ” Minero” which seems to be a kind of Mezcal. Tastes very smokey and delicious. Would you drink it straight or with a lime. I doubt it’s a mixer but curious

12. Mahrie at |

Do you think any of the tequilas under the Kirkland brand that Costco sells are worthy of having in a liquor cabinet?

13. Mezcal vs Tequila | Tequila life at |

[…] Mezcal vs Tequila […]

14. […] of tequilas, including the 100% pure agave ones, which is what you really want to drink, and even a mezcal or two. Most of them will run upward of 30€. For something just as good but at almost half the […]

15. Korby Sinclaire at |

Thanks! I’m enjoying some Vida Mezcal at this very moment. Loved your article.

16. Paul Ingram at |

I have a substantial collection of Tequila’s I purchase (generally) at the Tequila Festival in T.J. each year. Yesterday my neighbor brought over a bottle of Taberna Los 3 Hombres (Raicilla Blanco)…..nice stuff! I need to explore Mezcal types more!! Living near Ensenada.

17. Tammy Barber at |

Do you recommend a first time mezcal? Thinking of trying it in a Bloody Mary but don’t want something cheap nor super expensive…

1. Paul Ingram at |

Hmmmmmmm; I make an excellent Bloody Mary and enjoy a good one elsewhere, however i cannot picture anything from an Agave plant in that mix. Kinda like trying to make a Bloody Mary with Clamato – just not the same! haha

18. Len at |

Didn’t find any decent Mezcal on my trip, the only Mezcal I could find was Gusano Rojo.

As for the Del Maguey, I’ve been saving those for when my son gets married, or gets his Masters Degree. I think the degree is more likely, LOL. If I change my other mind I’ll let you know.

Cheers!

19. […] But, if you want to read about them (Mezcal mostly), check out this dude's website. […]

20. Len at |

Highly informative blog, much appreciated.

I’ve been a Mezcal fan for many years, still have a few unopend bottles of Del Maguey from the late 90s.

Heading to the Quintana Roo region on Monday and hoping to score some good Mezcal. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!