UPDATE THE POST NOT THE PAGE
This is a continually updated post on Mezcal Joints of the World. The list is intended to be global but the early focus is NYC since these are places I know (all too well in some cases!). If you are a bar or restaurant and want to be on this list, please email me at email@example.com. Also, if you are on this list and want to include a short or more complete description, email me that as well. To get this list rolling, I included a few other places in the U.S. and abroad, but please email me so we can build this list!!
- Anejo Tequileria. 668 10th Avenue at 47th. Deep mezcal list with great food to match.
- Agave. 140 7th Avenue South, between Charles and 10th. More tequila focused but really excellent mezcal selection as well.
- Mayahuel. 304 E 6th, just east of 2nd Ave. The outstanding and original agave spirits bar in NYC with craft agave cocktails.
- Empellon Cocina. 105 1st Avenue, between 6th and 7th. Incredible mezcal and tequila list coupled with top flight mixology.
- Experimental Cocktail Club. 191 Chrystie St, between Rivington and Stanton. On the list because they make magic with the handful of mezcals they have. Also, they could not be nicer.
- Casa Mezcal. 86 Orchard St. between Broome and Grand. The name says it all.
- Zengo / La Biblioteca. 622 3rd Ave at 40th St. La Biblioteca is the downstairs tequila library. Love that.
- Ofrenda. 113 7th Avenue South just north of Christopher.
- Dos Caminos. Multiple locations in NYC. A bit of a chain but very good all the way around. Meatpacking location is my favorite.
- Apartment 13. 115 Ave C, between 7th and 8th. Great food and a deep love for mezcal here.
- Sembrado. 432 E 13th between 1st and Ave A. Mezcals outnumber tequila by a wide margin. A good sign.
- La Urbana. 661 Divisidero St, between Grove and Hayes. Recently opened shrine to mezcal and Mexican street food.
- West of Pecos. 550 Valencia St. Small but carefully cultivated mezcal selection.
- Liberty Bar. 517 15th Ave E. Owner Andrew Friedman goes deep on mezcal and tequila.
- Barrio Mexican Kitchen and Bar. 1420 12th Ave. Bar Manager Casey Robinson is incredibly passionate about mezcal and mixology.
- El Carmen. 8138 W 3rd St. More tequilas but a coming mezcal list with top flight mixology and excellent bites.
- Las Perlas. 107 E 6th St. Renowned food and agave spirits mecca.
- The Pastry War. 310 Main St. Bobby Heugel’s outstanding mezcal joint. I would love to check it out!
- El Rancho Grande, 311 Plainfield St. Rumor has it they take their hospitality, food, service and mezcal seriously!
- In Situ. Oaxaca. Probably the most well known of all mezcalerias.
- Los Danzantes Mexican Restaurant. Oaxaca
- Café No Se. Antigua. Headquarters for John Rexer’s original smuggling operation for Ilegal Mezcal.
- CandelariaTaco Place, 52 rue de Saintonge, Paris, Île-de-France