1. […] Tepextate, yummy. Mezcalosfera by Mezcaloteca, second US release; I must have this in my cabinet! Real Minero Ensemble, agave Espadin, Largo, Tripon & Barril, clay distillation, 10 years rested in glass; […]

2. rostay51 at |

” It is present at every major milestone of their lives:  births, communions, weddings, funerals, and everything in between”
    I don’t agree, look at http://www.sporttechie.com/2016/09/07/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks-earl-thomas-signs-equity-deal-with-chefs-cut-real-jerky/

3. Mark Huebner at |

Actually, there is more obvious support that it is a karwinskii, so of course you are correct….I was looking at the agave identity/map supplement from the Artes de Mexico (#98) and cuixe is listed under rodacantha, not under the long list of karwinskiis, hence the dangling question mark. So now I am curious if it a cultural/locational overlap in identification, like lechuguilla or cenizo. Could Graciella’s drift refer to the fact that both A. Rodacantha & A. Karwinskii are related under the species Rigidea? (my only guess.)

4. Jerry at |

Doc,
    Sounds like a fun and informative trip. Do you speak fluent Spanish?

I age my own Mescal and Tequila, sometimes Bacanora and Sotol. Sotol is especially delicious either glass-aged or mellowed via oak barrel. I use the three main, popular oak types: American, French and Hungarian. They all impart their own delightful mellowing and flavour characteristics. I’m merely a hobbyist, not a company. However, over the years my results produce the best tasting product I have yet had. Keep in mind, I also respect and equally appreciate enjoying the pure, unadulterated spirit in its clearest, cleanest form as a unique flavour experience.

Agave spirits evolution have followed suit with the addition of the now common Añejo iteration, and more recently Extra Añejo and now Ultra Añejo, some at astonishing price points. Hornitos “Black Barrel” is a recent marketing example of a mid-priced, Bourbon barrel aged Tequila. Just like surfing took off in the 1960s, so agave spirits, Tequila, et al, have blossomed in the 2000s with the Margarita now reputed to be the most popular mixed drink in America. Some upscale restaurants now offer mixed drinks using expensive Mescal, a trend with momentum.

There are approximately 250 species of Agave at last count, no one really knows for sure. There is actually a treatise catalog of this in the library of the NOM, etc.

Don Antonio Aguilar is actually a fairly decent Mescal made from the Weber Blue Agave, typically only used for Tequila. Spirits from Mexico? It’s actually anybody’s game out there now, what with the skyrocketing popularity of anything “spiritual” from Mexico over the last decade, especially the last five years. Es sin precedente. Mexican agave spirits in the 1960’s in the USA were relegated to mostly kerosene flavored mixto refuse, with some minor exception. Nowadays, most large package stores have a dedicated Tequila section, many with a locked case containing rare and expensive Agave spirits. Seems every other guy on the internet is now a self-proclaimed Tequila expert, be it armchair or otherwise. Its an interesting observation in trend and personal development how self-worth and adequacy are achieved through the various adoptions and adaptations of that perceived as cool, trendy, together, creative, hip and awesome. At least Doc here, has been there and contributes something to the field he so obviously enjoys. Yo, Doc – me to!

5. cyber spammm at |

Thank you for sharing a bit of your mezcal adventure!

6. Geoff at |

Felicidades! Great article, love the mezcales, hope some day to come to Oaxaca too!

Best,

Geoff

7. Mark Huebner at |

Sub species Bicuixe & Madrecuixe are always A. Karwinski; Cuixe has always been a Rodacantha, right?