1. Tyler at |

Doc,

Quite an epic tasting. I’m just getting into all the articles you’ve posted and not sure if you’ve posted about more tastings but I’m curious if you would keep the same order if you did another one. For instance, the pechugas are kind of “fancy” mezcals so might not be best to serve near the end. However, I’ve noticed that it can take a few sips to warm up your tastebuds when doing tastings so starting off with a pachuga, tobala, or tepeztate might not be the best idea either. Additionally if you are serving mezcal newbies you might want to serve an espadin or Ilegal anejo to transition them from the “smokey” stereotype over to more complex flavors. Have you honed the tasting experience since this one?

Separately, do you have a favorite pechuga? Recently I tried the Del Maguey Iberico (sweet ham) which was very interesting. Unfortunately I can only find the Pierde Almas Pechuga in the liquor store, but not a bar – very keen on trying it.

Thanks for sharing this tasting

2. Cody Craig at |

I keep ending up on your website in my search for Tequila and Mezcal knowledge and your posts are always on point. I work as a bartender at a Cantina with an extensive bar that serves Oaxacan food, and they (and me being guero and all) don’t seem to know how to sell mezcal. Your posts have helped me educate my customers about what we have to offer. My current favorite is El Silencio Espadin. If you’ve got any suggestions for getting my customers away from margaritas and into mezcal, I’d love to hear them.

3. Sergio Inurrigarro at |

Are you aware that smoky is not a virtue but a fault in mezcals???

I am happy you took the first level with Douglas in New York y look forward to meeting you when you deside to become a master mezcalier and come to Oaxaca for level 4

Best

sergio inurrigarro

4. Victor Contreras at |

Congratulations for your passion and blog over Mezcal’s world! Just wanted to suggest you to look out for the Bru-xo Mezcal, it has 6 different options. I have only tasted No. 4 “barrel” and it was a well balanced flavor (meaning not so smokey, not so strong). I’m not an expert but thought you should know about it. Kind regards!, Victor.

1. Fina M at |

Good evening, you have an extensive collection of Mezcal. Very Impresive.
      Have you heard of the Lable “Alipús ” Mezcal. From Oaxaca.?
      You should be able to get it in N.Y. City.
      They have several types of Mezcal as well. Different colors in the lables, represent different flavors. I am not selling you anything. I am just asking.

5. Shamika at |

Good post. That was an exhaustive list of Mezacals

Needed to know – Someone has got this bottle of Mezcal called Moyahua de Tonaya. It doesn’t really say it’s mezcal, so i’m not sure if it’s authentic. Perhaps you know more about it? Couldn’t find much on the web!

6. Chuck at |

This is a great rundown of an incredible event – but really words can not do it justice. Very much looking forward to the review on the Ilegal home aging barrel!

7. Flycakes at |

I pitched a tent right next to the Ilegal anejo and that’s where I lived all night long. Who knew cupcakes and Mezcal were such a great combination?!

8. Sonia Gomez at |

Is always fun to read your blogs but this one is particularly interesting. I learned a lot about my favorite drink!! Mezcal and Flycakes chocolate cupcakes and brownies!!! What a fantastic combination!!

9. Ray Tekosky at |

Loved the review of the tastings. Am finally on my quest to understand mezcals, settle on a few favorites to replace my tequilas. After 40 years of tequila, Herradora Anejo is my tequila of choice, Cazadores reposado as an altenative style. both preferred because of taste and value in the same bottle.
    Where in NYC might I find many of these lovely bottles? Thanks

10. Mario at |

I’m amazed at the incredible variety of species, production methods and sheer quantity of brands that were offered for tasting. Well done John. I’m sorry I couldn’t have been there.

11. Polly at |

When’s the next tasting? That was way too much fun