1. Bas H at |

Spain continues to made their own agave destillate, I remember there were more cheap ones (low taxes compared to North- Europe, loved it!) but here’s one found online; Aguardiente de agave Capitan Tiquela.

2. werner at |

you should correct the following in your article about agave spirits, I insist:
    all Raicillas are smoky, Bacanoras, just like Sotol, are not!

3. karuna gomez mont at |

i would like to contact you for you to give an informal talk at El Fuerte, Sonora, April 9. i hope you are in mexico. forgive the lack of caps, i have a broken arm.
    this is a fundraising tour. your knowledge of agave drinks is fascinating. the talk would be in english for americans and canadians living in mexico. also, a few others living abroad. a group of 25 people. my cell phone is (52 1) 333 101 8092. home 52 376 766 2610. karuna.

4. werner at |

all raicillas I know are smokey (piñas are baked in underground pitts), years ago there was a brand called ‘7 Amigos’, the only unsmoked Raicilla I have ever come across in my 40 years in Mexico, it was a brilliant spirit, similar to Sotol in flavour and quality, but is no longer available

5. Juan M at |

Hello again, do you know if any distilled spirit can be made from the same maguey that pulque is harvested from if the heart were to be cooked or roasted?

6. Juan M at |

Hello, I was wondering which mezcal agave would be best suited for growing in the soutwest, perhaps in the palm springs area. I understand that I cannot call it Mezcal due to DOM but it would be a mezcal-like spirit. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

7. Armando Erotico at |

Thanks for the informative article.

I have a straightforward question, which is the eighth appellation of origin for mezcal, I only ever seem to find the original seven?

8. David Blaska at |

I have seen the spelling “mescal” to refer to any distilled agave drink and “mezcal” with a z for the drink produced in Oaxaca state from espadin agave. Helps sort things out. But great info, again!

9. Vel at |

Can I bring Bacanora back to the USA? I bought it in a coke bottle. I just have one coke bottle.

10. Aris Gonzalez at |

Just to let you know, PULQUE is made out from maguey, agave americana. Being from the same family of agave but different plant.

11. Guy DeLouche at |

I would also add Cocui or Cocuy to the obscure agave spirit list…apparently it’s popular in Venezuela, particularly in the state of Falcon. This is the only reference to it I’ve managed to find about it, posted by one Patricio on the Blue Agave forums:

I am new to this forum but have enjoyed tequila and margaritas for many years. I have retired to Venezuela where imports are limited and the two bottle import limit on passangers does not go far. I have discovered a place in the state of Falcon where they make cocuy from the Agave Cocui plant. I am trying to find all producers and make a personal ranking. I can make a fair margarita and know the product has not been discovered as it costs less than $2 a liter.

12. aspidoscelis at |

A note on families:

Both Agave and Dasylirion are placed in the family Asparagaceae in the current familial taxonomy of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group.

A note on bacanora:

Agave palmeri is (at least sometimes) used to produce this liquor.

And, no, sotol is not mezcal, but you know that. 🙂

1. aspidoscelis at |

Also, “lechuguilla” as a common name usually refers to the species Agave lecheguilla, at least in the U.S. and in the Mexican states of Chihuahua and Coahuila. Whether anyone uses Agave lecheguilla to produce liquor, I do not know.

13. Joe Cordova at |

Very informative,but being from a bacanora producing region,I have seen bacanora produced by the best.They do not use any particular variety of agave.I have seen piles of pinas that have five or ten varieties of agave.They use anything they can find growing wild,old timers claim that it is the combination of certain varieties that make the difference in taste.

14. David Castillo at |

In Mexico we know the differences between sotol and mezcal. You should come back to Mexico to check it out, will be a pleasure to show you, cheers.

15. Micheline Ouimet at |

I am glad that you are a Mezcal geek( I think your word ). I have learn something. I didn’t know about Raicilla, Bacanora, and Sotol. Thanks! Micheline

16. Jeff at |

Thanks again for another great post. Very informative.

17. Sonia Gomez at |

Very interesting reading! Love to learn about all of these spirits. Someday these blogs posts should make a book.

18. Rudy Caconi at |

Maestro.

Thanks for another beautiful post.

Tip, there’s few spirits distilled from pulque, one of them “Pulcata” another one “Mi General Huesca”.

Pancho