1. Dylan Sinclair at |

I was speaking to Jesus Ortega who runs archivomaguey in Oaxaca last week about tobala and papalomet. While I can’t really relay too much info, I got the impression that tobala has a lot of variation in shape/size/color and that they are a category that could benefit from further distinction (we had a tobala that was a 50:50 blend of 2 differnet tobalas from similar region. I couldn’t give detail past that without drawing how the spines are large and curved on one with fatter leaves and slimmer and smaller spines on the second as drawn for me during discussion). I also got the strong sense that even if related the papalomet come from the mixtec region and also differs enough that at least some do not consider it synonymos with tobala. And from my tasting of various papalomet I’d have to say I tend to think they likey differ as well as they are slightly less sweet and have more vegetal flavors (in the small sampling I’ve been able to have). Archivo has a ticunchui that is absolutely amazing if you can get your hands on some. He only had like 30L total of this so there is not much, but if you’re in town and he has some you MUST try it. Perhaps my all time favorite as of now (I love them all, who am I kidding). Great site, BTW.

2. Eduardo Martinez at |

While in Oaxaca in February, I visited the distillery for Don Agave where I bought a bottle of Mezcal Joven de Coyote, only 215 bottles made. The tour began with an introduction of the six types of agave they use for their mezcals, one of them being the coyote variety (somewhere I have a picture of them). You might continue your research by calling them at 951-111-1350, asking for Matha Caronell or writing to donagave_mezcal@hotmail.com
    Jorge Balderas is the magician that makes their wonderful product.
    I still haven’t broken into my bottle (showing great restraint) waiting for that special moment.

1. Baron of the barren white north at |

While browsing Mezcals available from the US I found another mention of coyote in the Mezcal Vago Olla De Barro Coyote mixto (there is a mouthful.) As suggested, it is not a pure expression- the write up states that it is a mixture of ” various amounts of Espadin, Mexicano, Coyote, Arroqueño and Sierra Negra” and that the bottles will be labelled as to their contents.

I had never looked at or for Coyote prior to reading your blog and I have to say that I really appreciate the time you spend writing informative for my consumption.

I cannot believe the selection (and price) you pay south of the boarder (Canadian boarder.) I will refrain from ranting here (for now), but I see a trip to the Montana boarder in my near future… Suffice to say that right now I have bottles of Sombra and few other varieties (do zygnum and Scorpion count?) due to prices and availability. I refuse to pay twice the going rate for a bottle simply due to being geographically disadvantaged and living in a liquor dictatorship where the government holds a monopoly. (Right, I promised not to rant…)

Anyhow, thanks again for the posts and the links of various online mezcal Mecca’s for me to check out.

3. mezcalito at |

Siete Misterios gets their mezcal from the Sola de Vega region. It’s all “Olla de Barro”. The interesting thing is when you ask the mezcaleros from Sola to point out an Agave Arroqueño and an Agave Coyote, they are completely different and don’t appear to be of the same variety at all. Arroqueños are huge and have a much broader leaf. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this!

4. Mario Yrun at |

a thorough and entertaining treatise to be sure! …great writing and I think I’ll pour myself a Ilegal Anejo gifted to me by some dude I know….

5. mathew at |

love this post! wait until you check out the most recent bottle I have received…cowhide/clay/7 years underground, Papalometl!
    haven’t opened the bottle yet, figured it’s been waiting since “6/98” (yes, that is handwritten on the bottle) to be opened, then I can perhaps wait until a certain mezcal aficionado/blogger stops in for a dram. until then, Sir!

6. Sonia Gomez at |

What a fantastic lesson on mezcal!! So interesting and so easy to read and understand!! As I was reading it my mouth was watering thinking of the Siete Misterios at Empellon with Matt Resler and the numbered bottles!! By your description I can imagine how tasteful it is and the pleasant burning sensation that gives a good mezcal to one’s palate. Well, how about some Ilegal for now?!!