1. […] Speaking of comparing mezcal to wine, the colourful lineup of varietals from El Jolgorio reminded me of bottles you’d find at a boutique winery. Except instead of being filled with grape juice, they’re full of the holy nectar called mezcal. And apparently, I’m a fan of the Tobala varietal, though I can’t really afford to be. [$US115] […]

2. […] Speaking of comparing mezcal to wine, the colorful lineup of varietals from El Jolgorio reminded me of bottles you’d find at a boutique winery. Except instead of being filled with grape juice, they’re full of the holy nectar called mezcal. And apparently, I’m a fan of the Tobala varietal, though I can’t really afford to be. [$115] […]

3. […] Speaking of comparing mezcal to wine, the colorful lineup of varietals from El Jolgorio reminded me of bottles you’d find at a boutique winery. Except instead of being filled with grape juice, they’re full of the holy nectar called mezcal. And apparently, I’m a fan of the Tobala varietal, though I can’t really afford to be. [$115] […]

4. Fernando Menoyo at |

Greetings, I see some natural “seed ” small
    bowls in your photos along with the Mezcal bottles as if they are used to drink the Mezcal. What are they?

5. […] to read the complete article go to this link: http://mezcalphd.com/2013/11/el-jolgorio-a-boutique-mezcal-with-many-varietals/ […]

6. dennis at |

Hate to ask….. but, do you use a mixer with the Mezcal?

Thanks

7. Douglas at |

Part of the deal for the USA and global market is : If you put a product on the market and your customers like it , you as a producer have kind of and unwritten moral ( commercial) obligation to keep supplying/delivering it in a timely fashion . I see all these brands that are owned by chilangos and gringos, energetically coming onto the market , They are doing a great job and being received very well by the consumers .It is like a home run for the mezcal catagory, it is great for someone like me who worked for 20 years to open the path for all mezcaleros to walk/run. My question is , especially with the varietals,
    my question is : will they be able to give the market a continuous supply. Where will the product come from? In the espadin catagory , ok , there is probably 10,000,000 liters being made a year( most of it uncertified, but it can be crtified in a hearbeat , the CRM will be happy to do that) and just under 1,000,000 being exported . You can do like Ron , grab a dozen palenques and bottle the hell out of their espadin products and deliver maybe 100,000 lts a year to the USA . That goes pretty far, its great business for the bottler, Ron, and good for the palanquero , but a varietal???? Where is the maguey supposed to come from? Wild maguey in the mountains . Have you ever hiked the Sirerra Madre Sur to cut wild maguey? I have , there maguey , but is is few and far between . And when you cut what you find , you leave a negative behind in your footsteps. The producers have an obligation( unwritten moral law) to plant as much as they cut and process each year . As long as this is not happening , the agave will be in short supply or non existent for future generations.
    So my friends drink hearty and buy some extra to put away for the future , because I have a quisey feeling in my gut that my conpanero mezcaleros wonderful products may not all be on the shelf forever. You have to understand that these are rare gems made by master mezcaleros in a place where time and history blends with the ages, the comercialization , global marketing is not part of the heart beat that drives them (yet) . The individual essence of the maguey and cooking drives them , and the exquisite product is the result. Today. Manana may be different.
    May Mayahuel be with you.

8. Douglas at |

Scorpion Mezcal has a Tobala Silver 750 ml. and a Tobala Extra Anejo 750 ml. that we introduced in 2012 or 2013 , I don’t remember when it actually got to the US market . We also launched a Aficionado Varietal Tasting box with 4 bottles , 200 ml each . One is Espadin , one is Barril, one is Tequilana and the 4th bottle is Tobala. The idea is that several people can sit down and sip the 4 varietals side by side to compare the different flavors. The box costs between $80 and $100 depending on freight and taxes in the different parts of the country .
    I will be presenting Barril Silver and Anejo, and Arroqueno Silver and Anejo tward the latter part of this year.

9. eguixa at |

So if the companies are sending you products to taste them and you respond them with flowers no matter the quality related to those “products” what we can infer? You are just another link in the mercenary chain living (sucking) at the expense of the Mezcal (organic, “boutique”, traditional, industrial, etc) without giving anything good for the industry besides of a ridiculous “post”.

10. constance finley at |

Do you have a service wherein you provide these mescals? My life is crazy, I have a start up company of cannabis oil for stage 4 cancer patients–oncologist referred and followed-quite legal–i think tequila is great. apparently I should graduate to mescal. I also think there’s possibly an interesting herbal connection between cannabis and mescal. Know anything about that or am I crazy?

11. Bob at |

Was lucky enough to try the Arroqueno and Madrecuixe on a visit to Oaxaca a few months back. Both delightful – you’re not kidding about the Madrecuixe being anything but subtle, but that’s probably why I came back for more. Big and in your face and dares you to try and tease it apart. Being a fan of mezcal in Australia, as I am, is a pretty difficult proposition as there isn’t much of value available but it’s good to see more and more interesting varietal stuff becoming available outside of Mexico at least.

12. Joe G at |

Just picked up a bottle of Nuestra Soledad by El Jolgorio @ Cask in San Francisco.

13. Eric Lorenz at |

Great article.

I assume some of your readers are in Canada as well – so, for their interest, El Jolgorio has been available in Western Canada since February 2013. Here’s a product locator map!

Saludos,
    Eric

14. Sonia Gomez at |

Your blogs are becoming more and more interesting, fun to read and learn about my favorite drink!

15. Earl (Popeye) Fish at |

thanks a lot Doc!
    A suggestion: come back to Oaxaca (or come for the first time if you have not been here) and bring back enough mezcal to pay for your ticket.
    Just a sugqgestion of course.
    And thanks again for your self-proclaimed bullshit