← Previous Page 2 of 2
  1. Lizzy at |

Hi! I’m looking at your fantastic page about mezcal. It has been extremely helpful as well as the list above. I have a dilemma and would like your professional advice. I would like to get my father a really nice smokey mezcal for his 60th birthday. I usually get him really fantastic whiskeys from all over the world but I wanted to try something different because mezcal is smokey which he likes and he also like tequila so that’s a great combination. I want to get him a bottle where he can enjoy a slow drink after a long day of work. I’m looking to spend between 75-100$ and I live in New York so I can get it shipped. Do you have any great recommendations aside from this list? Thank you so much in advance!

2. Erik at |

I’ve used your starter kit quite a bit. It’s been very helpful. I’m curious about Don Amado. It seems they rebranded their Plata as Rustico. I found a couple bottles of Rustico with an old label online and was wondering if this is what you had referred to when you said spend the extra $10 to get Rustico. The new “Rustico” label is priced like the Plata and I don’t see a separate Plata for purchase. Just wondering since I haven’t tried either what happened and if the quality of the new Rustico is as good as the one you were talking about.

3. Dennis B. at |

I appreciate the information you have on your site. My wife and I travel to Mexico with some frequency, and we had made a habit of making a stop in Oaxaca. We found a small Mescal operation on the outskirts of the city working out of an adobe building (basically a four car garage). We stopped there so often, and brought him so many new customers, that he now will make monthly deliveries to us up near Oaxtepec. I’m not sharing who he is, because I don’t want him to get more popular. I pay $15 U.S. per bottle. It will never make your list, because he doesn’t import, but your readers should be sure to stop at the tiny family distilleries if they are ever in Oaxaca.
    Dennis

4. K D Kearney at |

In which order would you place the following three Mayalen mezcals : Guerrero , Borrego, Wild Cupreata ? I am visiting a state where these three are sold and wish to try one but can not come to a conclusion which is best, smokiest, frutiest, whatever . Please provide your ranking order . Thank you . K D K

5. […] bottles to choose from.  Lucky for you I have several guides geared to help you.  Check out my Mezcal Starter Kit for some great ideas if you want to give some moderately priced mezcal bottles as a […]

6. Jimbo at |

One mezcal brand I haven’t seen mentioned here or pretty much anywhere else on the internet is Joyas Oaxaqueñas. It’s super cheap (less than $30) but based on my limited experience, seems to be the quite good for its price. Anyone else have experience w/ this stuff?

7. GodOfThunder at |

I’m really enjoying your blog. Thanks!

I just got started with mezcal, and I’m hooked after a trip to The Pastry War in Houston. I really enjoy smokey mezcal, and they gave me a few Del Maguey wild mezcals that blew my mind with smoke. Do you have any suggestions for big, smokey, mezcal that is available online?

So far, my collection is:
    Del Maguey Chichicapa – my favorite of what I have so far
    Del Maguey Vida – great for cocktails
    Fidencio Clasico – great starter. harsh nose, but still smooth.
    Wahaka Reposado – smooth and filled with oak. great drinker, but not too potent.
    Vago Elote – packs a punch. I can really taste the corn.

and I just purchased a bottle online of Del Maguey Arroqueno.

So far I’m loving this stuff, and Del Maguey is really standing out to me. I’m in love with the Chichicapa.

8. Mezcal Holidays Gifts! | Mezcal PhD at |

[…] looking for some guidance, so much so that I did a whole post on this subject which you can view HERE.  But if you are looking to buy a few bottles as an awesome gift, and don’t want to break […]